Are Digital Holiday Cards Taboo?

Posted by Michele Shubert on December 18th, 2012

Some people are of the opinion that sending holiday e-cards are “as welcome as Scrooge at Christmas dinner.” I disagree. I think there are circumstances when an email is the best option for holiday greetings.

We can safely say that friends and family should get a personal, handwritten message from us, perhaps along with a bit of news or a family photo. But what about holiday greetings sent from your business? How do you decide whether to send a printed card or an email?

If your list is short or you can afford the time, the most personal greeting would be to send a printed greeting card with your handwritten signature. If you normally communicate with your customers digitally, however, or if your client list is very large, then perhaps emailing your holiday greeting is the best option. For those who are short on time, but prefer to send a printed card, perhaps a mailed postcard with a custom message on the back is the perfect option.

Which type of business holiday greetings do you like to receive?
Does it matter to you whether it is an email, a postcard, or a traditional folded greeting card in an envelope? Do you agree that there are times when an email greeting can or should be sent instead of a printed card?

Please share your views! I look forward to reading your comments!

21 Comments

1. linda meyer
    Posted December 20, 2012 a 8:48 pm | Permalink

I think an email card is the easy way out………………does not mean much to me…

2. Posted December 20, 2012 a 8:51 pm | Permalink

I always prefer a printed card, but don’t mind an email card, I just don’t think of it as making as much of an effort.

3. Posted December 20, 2012 a 8:55 pm | Permalink

I think sending web greeting cards is just fine. It saves the trees. The thought is still there.

4. arlene
    Posted December 20, 2012 a 8:58 pm | Permalink

I think that any greeting or personal message should be delivered in person, if not possible, via phone call or snail mail and finally, via email if there is some meaning to the communication. Unless there is something special about a holiday email greeting…it feels like so much spam

5. Posted December 20, 2012 a 9:02 pm | Permalink

I like to receive printed Christmas cards with money inside. $10s and $20s are okay, $50s and $100s are preferred!

6. Posted December 20, 2012 a 9:06 pm | Permalink

email card is fine and saves allot of trees

7. Posted December 20, 2012 a 9:06 pm | Permalink

I believe it is very appropriate to send ecards for two reasons. It helps save trees and allows us more time to spend with loved ones which is more of what the season is about.

8. Judy Thanhauser
    Posted December 20, 2012 a 9:14 pm | Permalink

9. Posted December 20, 2012 a 9:32 pm | Permalink

I enjoy getting any kind of Holiday greeting! They are fun and show someone is thinking of me. Pat

10. Posted December 20, 2012 a 9:33 pm | Permalink

I use email marketing every month, with a email going out to my customers and business friends. So I agree with Holiday email greetings

11. Posted December 20, 2012 a 9:35 pm | Permalink

A sincere greeting is welcomed whether it be email, digital, us postal service no matter if its someone you know reasonably well or have done business with frequently it always welcome, but greetings just to solicit business really bug me.

12. Posted December 20, 2012 a 10:03 pm | Permalink

Looks good nothing wrong with email however I prefer via mail or postcards

13. Posted December 20, 2012 a 10:11 pm | Permalink

I think it is fun on occassion to get an email greeting card.

14. Posted December 21, 2012 a 1:08 am | Permalink

Our showroom has a number of feedback letters from happy customers. we also post pictures of individual pictures, like the one we have of Ross Josephson with his near record Turkey.

We used to get a lot of end-of-year / Christmas cards from customers and vendors. We always post them in the showroom for potential and current customers to see and they can stay posted for a reasonable number of weeks.

I think all customers expect to see customer feedback, but holidays cards reflect our current status quo and embellishes the testimonials and strengthens our customer’s impression of us.

When people are making a buying decision, we don’t have long to make a good impression, and all those cards we used to get leaves a visible and lasting impression with potential customers.

I vote for snail mail cards of thanks. They are testimony to our position with vendors and tells customers we are alive and in good standing, which translates to credibility as well as the fact that if there is an issue with product, we are well connected.

As I write this, it just occurred to me that Marvin could produce a card that we could mail out to potential customers that tells them we are second only to the microwave oven. It’s a different concept that would give us an opportunity to send cards without splashing those false sales that I see everywhere.

15. Posted December 21, 2012 a 1:21 am | Permalink

Follow up on my previous comment. I think email thank you’s from any source are too impersonal and rank with spam because almost all of them link to some form of a selling process.

Additionally, everyone that needs to see the thank you note probably never sees it. I forward mission critical emails to my staff, but I get upwards of 50 emails a day. Forwarding impersonal thank you emails is low on my list of things to accomplish.

I would never email a customer, thanking them for their patronage. The best way to thank them remotely is to either call them or send an upscale card with real ink and a message hand written. Of course there is no substitute for seeing them face to face with a thank you.

It is really exhilarating to me to receive a hand written thank you or a simple phone call. I had several of both during this holiday season and it creates a bond that lasts for a long time.

16. Posted December 21, 2012 a 3:38 am | Permalink

I feel perfectly comfortable to receive an email holiday or Merry Christmas wish business and friends . I just know they are thinking of me and are sincere.

17. Posted December 21, 2012 a 4:37 am | Permalink

If we do business together, then digitals are just fine (but I do send calendars).

I love to send personal cards, but this year I did not have time to send very many out. It is especially nice to get a Christmas card from the mailbox.

18. Tim French
    Posted December 21, 2012 a 4:56 am | Permalink

Happy Holidays to you as well. I think a email Christmas card is better than nothing.

19. Posted December 26, 2012 a 3:58 pm | Permalink

send by email–I send by email.

20. Posted December 26, 2012 a 7:44 pm | Permalink

electronic greetings are acceptable

21. Michele Shubert
    Posted December 28, 2012 a 8:59 pm | Permalink

Wow! Thanks to all of you for taking time to comment! It looks like the overall consensus is that a mailed card is the absolute best solution, but that an email is better than not sending anything at all. For those of you who only send mailed cards, what do you do if your list has 500 or more contacts on it?

Respond

Denotes a required field.